Linux: Check how much disk storage each directory takes up (Disk Usage command – du)

by Yang Yang on September 2, 2009

The Linux command du stands for disk usage which is used to check the amount of disk storage any particular directory or file is using. By default, the simple command:

du

Would return the disk usage in God-knows-what-unit of each of the directories in the current working directory and those beneath them – in a recursive manner. If you happen to have lots of them, the returned stats would be scrolling down crazily which barely makes it any useful.

Even if you have specified a specific directory such as "somedir":

du somedir

It still works in this uncomfortable way.

The solution is to use the -sh switch, the one switch a beginner will ever need:

du -sh

Which simply returns the amount of disk space the current directory and all those stuff in it are using as a whole, something like:

2.4G

Much much more intuitive and readable.

By:

du -sh somedir

You can find out how much disk storage directory "somedir" is using:

101M    somedir

To get all the subsequent / child directories disk usage from the current directory, simply use the asterisk:

du -sh *

It will then list the disk usage of all of them (but not recursively) one by one in a very readable manner:

8.0K    dir1
1.4G    dir2
135M    dir3

You should also read:

Pradeep August 18, 2010 at 6:40 pm

This can be a useful thing to web administrators.

I have a website and I want to check how much a folder /upload/ is consuming space. This folder contains, mostly, images of hotels etc.

I would use your “du” command this way, please comment if I am wrong,
du -sh /public_html/upload/*

Since I do not have a direct shell access, I would put it into a php file and then open that php in the browser.

Yang Yang September 18, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I think that would do. :)

pradebban September 15, 2010 at 6:12 pm

how to get the list of top space consuming directories?

nick December 18, 2010 at 2:21 am

@pradebban Excellent question. I’ve seen it asked all over the net. The best answer I’ve ever seen is as follows:

du –max-depth=0 -k * | sort -nr | awk ‘{ if($1>=1024*1024) {size=$1/1024/1024; unit=”G”} else if($1>=1024) {size=$1/1024; unit=”M”} else {size=$1; unit=”K”}; if(size<10) format="%.1f%s"; else format="%.0f%s"; res=sprintf(format,size,unit); printf "%-8s %s\n",res,$2 }'

Roman January 4, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Hey Nick et al, that was a great du/awk combo syntax you posted. I had to rewrite it a bit since the syntax characters int he browser got changed or something to that extent:

du -max-depth=0 -k *|sort -nr|awk ‘{if($1>=1024*1024) {size=$1/1024/1024; unit=”G”} else if($1>=1024) {size=$1/1024; unit=”M”} else {size=$1; unit=”K”}; if(size<10) format="%.1f%s"; else format="%.0f%s"; res-sprintf(format,size,unit); print "%-8s %s\n",res,$2}'

Out of that I got the following output when I ran the command against my /home/ dir:
%-8s %s
VirtualBox
%-8s %s
ISO
%-8s %s
Downloads
…….etc

Are these "%-8s %s" supposed to be printed out like that ?

Thanks,
-Roman

Steve March 7, 2013 at 3:10 am

I couldn’t get the du * command to list all the directories (just gave me files) on Ubuntu 12.04 so I made a quick mod using a find loop:

while IFS= read -r -d ” file; do sudo du –max-depth=0 -k $file; done < =1024*1024) {size=$1/1024/1024; unit=”G”} else if($1>=1024) {size=$1/1024; unit=”M”} else {size=$1; unit=”K”}; if(size<10) format="%.1f%s"; else format="%.0f%s"; res=sprintf(format,size,unit); printf "%-8s %s\n",res,$2 }'

Change “find ~/” to the directory of your choice and remove the “-type d” directive to include files as well. Note that I used sudo as I had a few folders throw permission errors.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: