Thread: Moving from Cloud Sites to Cloud Servers

Moving from Cloud Sites to Cloud Servers

Hi All,

I am a Cloud Sites user and I really like the service, but after reading several posts, I think Cloud Servers are the way to go.

Is there a guide, of FAQ, or hints for moving from Cloud Sites to Cloud Servers?

It's been over 7 years I don't work with Linux, so I have no experience with any of the latest distributions, which one do you recommend?

Will my server manage the email or will it be manage be rackspace, like in the cloudsite? If is at the server, how can I get a webmail interface?

Thanks!
    The road goes ever on and on.

Cloud Sites and Cloud Servers are two very different animals. If you make the jump to Cloud Servers, I would strongly suggest using hosted email instead of running your own email server. I've run an email server before and I'd rather have hot pokers in both eyes than do that again. Rackspace offers email hosting as a service http://www.rackspace.com/apps/email_hosting/ or you can use Google Apps for enterprise.

As far as distros go, I like CentOS just because we use RHEL at work (CentOS is the free version of RHEL), and it doesn't get easier than yum for installations and upgrades. Keep in mind that you'll have to take care of load balancing, scaling, database management, bug fixes, patches, security, and upgrades yourself.

Because of all that hassle, I end up just using Cloud Sites most of the time, with a Cloud Server instance for specific applications. I don't like reinventing the wheel.

i evaluated Sites for a while and was just days away from committing a production site to it when testing revealed some issues that were totally unacceptable. it boiled down to this - i don't mind being abstracted away from things as long as it's working, but when things go wrong i do mind not being able to dig into the issue and fix it. in this case, some cron jobs that were failing and no one could tell me why.

also, i'm not a web services reseller. i'm an ol' boy with a number of web apps that i'd like to move out of my home and onto the web so i can haul ass for months on end and not worry about anything.

setting up a cloud server was easy and straight forward, although i should say that i've been running a number of linux-based web servers from home for years. but i did go with a distribution that i'm not that famliar with - ubuntu 9.10.

the ubuntu 9.10 base image is a good one. how to install the rest of what i needed came directly from the rackspace cloud knowledge base and amounted to a few system commands, editing a few files and testing.

the server is spotwalla.com. it's running apache2, mysql 5.1, php 5.2.1 as well as postfix. i don't use a webmail interface to my server specifically. all the system/application account emails get forwarded to a gmail account. much easier interface for me and their spam filter is excellent.

the system setup and validation took a day and i'm soooooooo glad i didn't go live on cloud sites. i've had zero downtime and excellent response time since going live with the production site this past monday. for me, definitely the right move. so much so that i'm about to create another server and move the remaining applications over the next few of months.

the best part is that i haven't had a need to contact support since moving to cloud servers. last time i spoke to someone was about removing cloud sites from my account.

In my opinion, Cloud Servers suits you the most