Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Registrar recomendation

All of the above... besides If I am going to resell domains, I'm going to resell from the source, not another reseller.
    The road goes ever on and on.

I don't like GoDaddy personally. Their control panel is slow as hell among other things.

I like Network Solutions. You pay a little more, but that is fine with me.

They charge around $36/year for a single domain name per year. If you have enough domains they cut you a break. I think I pay around $16/year plus another $9 for private registration.

I know GoDaddy offers a similar thing for account access, but I love having my clients purchase their own domain names and then giving me access to their account as an Administrative or technical contact.

I know there may be some Netsol haters out there, but I am surprised no one mentioned them yet.

hat pricing structure is why I didnt mention them. I pay roughly $9/yr per .com/net/org domain plus another $7 for private registration.

If Mosso could bring registration down to $9/yr Id consider switching over. While $1 doesnt seem like a lot of money, I personally have about 50 domains. Renewing means $50 more a year for just my own domains to be renewed.

There is a strong argument that can be made to keep your domains and your hosting separate. That way, if your hosting has issues, you can switch quickly. There are a heap of dodgy hosters out there.

Directi costs me $7 per domain and I have complete control over all aspects, including free private rego, distributed DNS and much more. Best of all, I have a login to manage all domains and my clients have their own login for their domains.

Having said all of that, I am new here and have not had need to use Mosso's registration. An extra $3 is a lot times several hundred domains, but nothing for a single domain owner. I intend to give Mosso a chance when I am a little more stable.

Also, there are some features missing from Mosso's Control Panel

Let me just add, another very IMPORTANT things is being able to move a domain name OUT of the registrar is needed. NetRegistry, NetWork solutions and others make it so hard to move a domain out it is almost criminal.

I have done a lot of domain transfers between registrars. They are always a major pain. If they go well, and everything is done as it is supposed to be, it takes about a week.

Transferring a name out of Network Solutions isn't any worse than anywhere else.

You turn off "Domain Protect" or "registrar lock" or whatever else they call it.

Request an authorization code, put it in at your new registrar and initiate the transfer.

Wait for email to the administrative contact address, click on a link and approve the transfer.

Boom.

I haven't experienced any issues with Netsol being any worse in that regard than anyone else. Also, if you want to move a domain from one Netsol account to another, it is quick and easy.

I have also done a lot of transfers - and you are right about If they go well - but what about when it does not go well!!

I have over 500 domain names - probably about 300 active web sites. And have gone through more than 1000 registrations or transfers. I can tell you for a fact that not all registrars are equal.

Next time you go to transfer a Network Solutions domain and find out it is part of their old system and that you need to spend the next hour on the phone to support to get the info you need - then you will understand what I am talking about.

Don't get me wrong, they provide an excellent service for the small players. And you pay for that. But once you start to multiply it out it is just not economical.

Writing this has reminded me of the days when I set up my first domain name. I had a www based name and had seen other sites without it and wanted to do the same. When I enquired, I was told that I would actually have to buy the domain name again without the www's.

+1 for GoDaddy

Once you get used to their awful interface and remember to click no, thanks just let me checkout.

Good prices, cheap transfers, and excellent support in the event you need it.

-1 for NetSol - the prices are just plain offensive.

Just check out a decent registrar review site:

http://registrarjudge.com/

another MAJOR -1 for NetSol...those guys are crooks.